April 19th was the Second Annual Joshua Reeves Memorial 5k Run. As most of you know Jared's brother Josh was killed in Iraq in September 2007 and in his honor they held a 5k for the second year in a row at UGA. Last year the University of Georgia's Army ROTC put it on and this year the Air Force took over. The beginning ceremony was very touching...after the flags were presented, the national anthem was sang by the University of Georgia's American Idol winner which defiantly set the tone. Then Jared's parents gave a few words. Emotionally I was fine until Jean (Jared's mom) said that her biggest fear is that Josh will be forgotten, but because they hold the race she knows that he is remembered! Then the honorary speaker was Mark Richt, The University of Georgia's head football coach. He spoke on honor and the service of our men for their country, it was very thoughtful. Then Jared gave a prayer and the race was on. Of course Jared and I didn't race to win, but it was still fun to participate. We appreciate all that is done to honor and remember our fallen soldier Josh. He will live on forever in our memory. We love and miss you too much!
If you want to know more about Josh's story click here
Before the Race...
Jared...Me....Jason
The Whole Family
(pretty cool I must say)

Mark Richt Speaking
(just to let you know I have know met him in person and yes he is just as sweet, humble, and personable as he looks)
After the Race...
Jean and James Crossing the Finish Line
(just to let you know I think this is the cutest picture ever of them!)
She participated in the race too & she was tired
2 Thoughts:
What a neat way to honor their son! I did not know about his brother. I'm glad you posted this!
I love the picture of you and Jared after the race, you guys look so intense!
Post a Comment