Recent Posts

Sunday, March 20, 2011

ASB Indianapolis

For Spring Break this year I participated in Alternative Spring Break....
"The mission of the Alternative Spring Break program is to engage University of Georgia students in an affordable week long substance free experiential service learning project that encourages an understanding of pressing social issues in a significant way. The Alternative Spring Break program places teams of college school students in communities to engage in community service and experiential learning during their spring break."
My ASB trip went to Indianapolis. Our project was on Health Awareness focusing on childhood obesity. We worked through the Payton Manning Foundation. For most ASB trip they typically stay in old churches and sleep in big rooms on the floor and eat very cheap food. Well this was the first year that UGA ASP went to Indianapolis and we were completely spoiled. We stayed at a hotel, ate out, and the hotel even threw us a St. Patrick's Day Party. We were totally pampered. For service we volunteered at a Boys and Girls Club (playing with the children, clean up their garden, and helped build a very nice patio). We cleaned up a food pantry that had was just beginning to develop. We cooked dinner and ate with an men's shelter. And lastly, we helped clean up a diabetes camp to get it ready for the summer.
The week was very rewarding and I made some really good friends. I was so grateful for this opportunity to serve. It's one thing to do a service project from one day, but to do service for a whole week is really uplifting! 
So here are a few pictures from each day:

Saturday

Very early in the morning...Indianapolis Bound!


 Our fearless leaders/drivers

This is just the beginning of how we got pampered...this whole refrigerator was just for us, fully stocked in our "meeting room"

Sunday
(our free exploration day)
Indianapolis Children's Museum  


Free Lunch Donated by a FABULOUS restaurant 


Indianapolis Museum of Art 



Then we went into the City and ate dinner at Scotty's Brewhouse
This place was insane, the menu was huge they made it into a magazine, they gave towel instead of napkins, and each bathroom stall had its own T.V. 



Monday
(First Day at the Boys and Girls Club)

These kids seemed to have a ruff life, but of course it was their normal...I really fell in love with them

I taught them how to play M.A.S.H. it was a huge hit!

 Bree and I 

Tuesday

Scrubbing an old gym at the food pantry 



The men's shelter called The Kitchen 




"The dish washer" from the men's shelter 


My buddy

Wednesday
Jared was SOO sweet and sent flowers to my hotel room this day! 


The "Before" of the patio at the Boys and Girls Club 


Cleaning the Club 


Gardening 



The "After" of the flower beds we cleaned up 


The at night we had a "fancy" dinner with the director of the Payton Manning Foundation and people from St. Vincent's Children Hospital



Thursday
(We spoke at a High School about the affects of Childhood Obesity, being healthy, and getting adequate exercise. Then we said goodbye to the Boys and Girls Club kids...it was VERY sad)
After speaking at the high school 

Laying the bricks for the patio



The "After" of the patio 


Tutoring the kids

Saying goodbye to all the kids :(

Friday
(We worked at the Diabetes Summer Camp)



Saturday
(I didn't have any pictures from this day. We left really early to drive back to Athens)
I was so glad I got to serve a small portion of the people of Indianapolis, I am a better person because of it!

1 Thoughts:

lillie said...

That trip did look like a lot of fun. What great memories!