I'm sure most of you have heard that the Health Care Bill was passed today. Although I don't not 100% agree with its passing, I can't help but feel a little politically ignorant. I am not very politically savvy, if you ask me a question on where I stand on certain issues I can give you a definite answer, but when it comes to hard core politics I'm a little in the dark. I know things here and there, but I do not feel completely confident in all areas. In regards to the Health Care Bill that was passed today I feel a little misinformed and I can't get an unbiased "here are the facts" explanation. So I want to know your thoughts...do you have an opinion, are you for or against it and why, or do you feel a little bit unsure like me? I also want to know if any of you have recommendations for an unbiased "politics for dummies" book.
{I don't quite know if the Health Care Reform Bill was passed the same way the Bill in the above video is passed}

4 Thoughts:
Don't worry Katy, you're not the only one in the dark! I am a thousand miles behind, and now I'm trying to catch up too! My initial thoughts are- sounds like someone's just trying to address the giant elephant in the room. It's been a problem that's only going to get worse, so I'm glad we're finally doing something. Now, is this the way to do it? I have no idea. Not a clue. But the ideals laid out in the bill sound like good, fair, respectable goals to me. And that's about all I know. People keep throwing the word "Socialism" around like it's a plague, but after reading about it on Wikipedia (a pretty neutral ground to research things on) it doesn't sound like a horrible thing to strive for? Again. I'm an idiot. So don't listen to me. But I just finished a blog kind of similar to this, so I thought I could share my thoughts with you ;)
This post: http://www.mint.com/blog/trends/health-care-reform/ explains some of the health care bill and tries to do so in an evenhanded approach.
I know what you mean. I always feel like I don't really know enough about an issue to make a definite statement on it. Thats why I don't understand why people get so heated on political issues sometimes because a lot of the times they really don't know too much about what they are talking about. Like on facebook I've been seeing such heated comments about this bill passing. Crazy. I can give you my opinion on an issue, but I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything about an issue. Its hard to get correct information with all of the media propaganda around too. So far I think that the bill that was passed can be a good thing. But once again, I probably don't know what I am talking about and am always willing to hear more information about the issue.
Katy, my friend Caroline just wrote a really great post on her blog (that I ironically read JUST before yours). It doesn't explain the ins-and-outs of the Healthcare Bill but I think it is a great perspective to it and politics in general.
http://carocody.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/healthcare-and-heartache/
Post a Comment