Two weeks ago I gave a Relief Society lesson on one of our Stake Goals: Read and Study the General Conference issue of the Ensign. And because the General Conference issue came out this month it was just in time! Through this lesson I truly gained a better appreciation for General Conference and it's Ensign issue. When I told my sister about the lesson I was teaching she said, "We should treat the General Conference issue of the Ensign like the daily news, read it, study it, and be informed." As D&C 21:4-5 states
"Wherefore, meaning the church, thou shalt give heed unto all his words and commandments which he shall give unto you as he receiveth them, walking in all holiness before me; For his word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth, in all patience and faith.
We are so fortunate to hear counsel from our Heavenly Father through our church leaders. We don't even have to travel hundreds of miles, we can watch it in our own homes and then we get a printed copy of their talks the next month. Honestly we are spoiled! So for the next few months I am excited to say that will be studying my Ensign issue of General Conference.
My handout for the lesson was a little bag of cheetos with a tag attached that said;
Don't "CHEET" yourself out of General Conference
Then I gave another double-sided handout that gave these pointers for preparing and staying awake during conference. When I attempted to search for these pointers I found lots of games and ideas for children, but not adults. So this is the "grown-up" list. Some of these will defiantly be helpful for me in the future!
How to Stay Awake and Interested During Conference
1. Before Conference starts listen to reverent music, say a prayer, or read your scriptures.
2. Conference Bingo- Make a grid with pictures or words that you might hear in Conference. Then each time you hear something that’s on your Bingo card, mark it off. First person to get a Bingo wins a prize!
3. Take notes- One way is to divide your paper in half, one side for what the speaker says and the other for what the spirit says.
4. Food- Have snacks just in case you get hungry.
5. Write down all the scripture references mentioned.
6. Go to conference in Salt Lake City or watch it at the church building
7. Dress in Sunday attire (even if watching at home) it will make you feel more reverent.
8. Keep your hands busy…doodle, knit, craft, etc.
9. Invite a friend to watch with you so that you are concentrated on setting a good example.
1. Before Conference starts listen to reverent music, say a prayer, or read your scriptures.
2. Conference Bingo- Make a grid with pictures or words that you might hear in Conference. Then each time you hear something that’s on your Bingo card, mark it off. First person to get a Bingo wins a prize!
3. Take notes- One way is to divide your paper in half, one side for what the speaker says and the other for what the spirit says.
4. Food- Have snacks just in case you get hungry.
5. Write down all the scripture references mentioned.
6. Go to conference in Salt Lake City or watch it at the church building
7. Dress in Sunday attire (even if watching at home) it will make you feel more reverent.
8. Keep your hands busy…doodle, knit, craft, etc.
9. Invite a friend to watch with you so that you are concentrated on setting a good example.
You need to PLAN for Conference not FIT it in!
1. Make a list of specific questions or issues you’re working on and would like help with
2. Pray: to feel the spirit, about one or all of the things on your list, for the speakers
3. Fast about a specific topic before Conference
4. Learn about the General Authorities’ lives, families, etc.
5. Have a Family Home Evening about General Conference
6. Read your Patriarchal Blessing (if you have one)
7. Get plenty of sleep the night before
8. Do all your cleaning and chores before Conference
9. Plan to discuss the talks after you watch Conference
10. Plan to listen for which talks to focus on for your Visiting Teaching or Home Teaching Lesson
11. Plan and shop for meals the day before
12. Plan how and where to watch Conference in advance
13. Find your journal or whatever you take notes on (and a pen)
14. Read from the last General Conference Ensign.
Here are links to some General Conference related material that I used in my lesson:
*great website*
3 Thoughts:
I want you to know that Monday morning I "cheeted" myself out of breakfast and ate your fabulous cheeto delight.... it made me very happy :) And your lesson was fabulous!
Wow Katie I am so proud of you! I didn't know you were a Relief Society teacher! What a great lesson. I just got my issue of the Ensign and I started last conference reading each talk and writting in my journal my thoughts and feelings about the talk. It was such a great experience that I can't wait to do it again. That was a great lesson to remind everyone of how important these messages are! Cute hand out too!
You and your sister give the best handouts ;-) I'd love to be in a class you're teaching any day!!!
Post a Comment