Recent Posts

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Weekend Trip to Columbia, South Carolina

We took a convenient trip to Columbia, South Carolina. Our two objectives were Army Graduation and the Temple. A few weeks prior Jared found out that a family he grew to love on his mission in Arizona had a son graduating from basic training at Fort Jackson South Carolina, so he really wanted to attend. Conveniently our branch had a temple trip scheduled for the same weekend!
{Story} We needed to be at Fort Jackson at 8:30a.m. Friday morning, but Jared had to work Thursday. Also, Jared started playing ice hockey and his first game was Thursday night at 10:30p.m. So we decided to wake up early and drive. I was suppose to sleep while he was at the game so I could drive, but its hard for me to sleep when he's not home, so I stayed awake. Well Jared didn't get home until around 2:00 a.m. and we still needed to pack. So it's 4:00a.m. in the morning neither of us had any sleep and we've started our 3-4 hour drive. I kept asking Jared if he was too tired or needed me to drive and he kept telling me he was fine. Not being able to keep my eye open I fell in and out of sleep. About an 1.5 hours into the trip I was awake (Jared must not have noticed) and I looked over to make sure Jared wasn't falling asleep and all of a sudden he completely closes his eyes and drops his head. Of course I yell and say, "Pull over, what are you thinking" and clever Jared says, "I was just praying!" We both couldn't stop laugh, but needless to say I drove the rest of the way!

Basic Training Graduation


Jared and Charles Kilmore

Charles, Justin, Jared

Kilmore Family

It was nice to finally meet a family that I had read about in Jared's letters home. Justin had to report another army base the next day, but I could tell Jared was proud of him! How can you not love men in service!

The rest of the day we spent exploring Columbia
....

You can't tell but this is a HUGE gummy bear!

This is my new obsession....Frozen Yogurt!



Then on Saturday we had a lovely time at the temple and had a quite, nice drive home!

p.s. "I made sure Jared said his prayers before getting behind the wheel"

1 Thoughts:

Wallace Clan said...

How nice for you that you got to go to Ft. Stewart. I think Basic Graduations are just the best. Of course, I have quite fond memories of Eston's being nine months pregnant and in a car for twelve hours to see it.

I know the young solider you went to visit really appreciated it. They really look forward to that day to see the ones they love congratulate them on such hard work.

And of course, I know the temple trip was wonderful.

Thanks for sharing your life with us!